Sunday, April 17, 2005

some days you gotta dance

I woke up at 7:30 this morning, as per usual. Luckily, when I got up with the sun on this particular day I actually had a reason. You see I had to go to work at the Di Bruno Bros House of Cheese. For those of you who don't know this side of my life ask me to tell you the extended story some other time, it takes too much room here, but suffice to say that once a week I get to play with the Italian cheese mafia. I enjoy the company and get to take home a bag of free vittles every week. So for the most part it's pretty easy money.

However, there's still the little matter of being someplace in shape enough to serve people food products at the wee hour of 8 am on Sunday morning. Bleh.

Last night I got home around 2, drank a bunch of water and then puttered around until the alcohol buzz wore off enough so that I knew I wouldn't have a headache today. So I probably actually went to sleep around 3. And though many of you out there might think 4 and a half hours of shut eye is plenty, I am a big wuss about such things and don't function on much less than 8. Seriously, I get really cranky.

But I was there bright and early, unwrapping lasagna for the hungry masses. The first few hours are always kind of a blur because there's a bunch of set up that you have to do. Enough that you can kind of tune into the work and not notice until it's around 9:30 or 10. After that point though, Sundays tend to be kind of lazy which means a lot of sitting around and waiting. There's only so much citypaper crossword one can do and blatantly reading a book is sort of frowned upon. So generally I kind of stare off into space when I'm not chatting with my co-workers.

Today however I changed things up. I was too tired to stare, because if I zoned out I'd constantly wish I were sleeping instead. And if I wasn't careful, I would actually be sleeping instead of just wishing I were. So logically I found only one alternative for the long afternoon that stretched ahead of me: I started a Di Bruno Bros dance party. Usually I'm not much one for public exhibitionism of this sort but if you put "Get Up Off of That Thing" on the CD player, I'm sorry, I'm just going to have to bust a move. Thanks to the couple dance steps learned for the show (ones I can be reasonably confident in doing without looking like a total fool) I was given the chance to teach the rest of the crew my awesome moves. We moved our groove thangs as we passed hoagies over the counters, we rocked out when we served up chicken and eggplant parm, and we even bumped it as we dished out marinated mozzarella by the pound. Before long I had not only the fine Di Bruno employees but several of the customers jiving along with me. At one point I even left the safety of the register to go out and shake it while I restocked the beverage case. I'm more than a little proud to note that a few people clapped.

I don't know if there's really a moral to this story. Other than that it's a fantastic feeling to take whatever it is your doing, however boring or mundane, and turn it into an opportunity to share song or word or my incredible charleston-into-jump-freeze-turn-and-walk-away step with people around you. To bring a smile to someone's face when they walk in looking pissed. To take a day that could be like pushing a boulder up a mountain, one that feels like a waste, tell it to loosen up a bit and just dance til you feel better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home