Saturday, April 09, 2005

Sleeping never felt so good™

I have the best bed known to man. I really really do. When I moved into my current apartment, my first non-campus based affair with housing, I decided that I would get the kind of bed I always, always wanted and never had. So I bought the biggest comfiest bed I couldn't afford.

And I feel justified every time I look at my bed in the decision that led me to buy it because my bed continues to make me happy every single day.

It's a queen size bed clearly meant for two people. The headboard has two distinct even sides one for each half of a couple. And I sleep smack in the middle. This means every night I have the luxury of knowing I get to fall asleep sprawled to my maximum extension. Sometimes I sleep diagonally just because I can. I have a giant mound of decorative pillows that could cushion the slumber of half a soccer team. I have reading lights on both the right and left so that I do not have to fear being hemmed in by the limits of a single side. To say that my bed is merely "comfortable" is to do it an injustice, for everyone who sits on it says, "My what a wonderful bed." It is the focal point of my room. When I actually make my bed it balances the the space around me such that it attains a certain zen-like harmony that sends me towards inner peace. Suffice to say that like the proverbial Goldilocks I have found "just right."

But the other night I slept in a bed other than my own. And all I could think at the time was, "This is not my bed. This bed is nowhere near as comfortable as my bed. This bed cannot compete. This bed is a sham, a lie, a mere passing fancy by comparison. This bed does not and will never complete me." In fact, despite being insanely tired at the time I barely slept a few hours because all I could concentrate on was the not-my-bedness of the foreign bed.

And pondering this in the light of day I begin to worry. Perhaps I am too dependant on my bed. Maybe I am a my-bed junkie addicted to my-bed crack... Now I fear the power my bed holds over me, lords over me. I want to sleep. I am tired. But I can't because then I let the bed win.

But oh, how I long for its anatomically correct design featuring different areas of firmness and softness to support my body's natural contours. How I crave the faux knit fabrics that provide a luxurious touch. How I miss that perfect combination of support and comfort that replenishes what the day takes out of me.

Delerium is setting in. Can no longer concentrate.

Must not. let.. bed... win.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home